Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Waiters Who Don't Write Down Orders

Doctor: We'll operate first thing in the morning!
Patient: I'm sorry doctor, but I couldn't help but notice you haven't written anything down in my chart since I was admitted.
Doctor: Well, that's because I am an excellent doctor.
Patient: Yes. I'm sure you are. But--
Doctor: No "buts." It's all up here (points to head). There's nothing to worry about really. It's a very minor procedure.
Patient: Really? A double-amputation is minor?
Doctor: Oh. You're not the appendectomy?
Patient: No.
Doctor: Hm. Well, I best be on my way before your friend here in Bed #1 wakes up. With no legs. And a ruptured appendix. Damn.

When a server does not write down your order, one of two things happen:

1) Your order arrives in a timely fashion and is correct down to the last detail. You are pleased, and you tip in a manner commensurate to how you ordinarily would for good service. You most likely do not even remember or care that the server did not write down your order.

2) Your order is incomplete/incorrect*/arrives out of order. Suddenly you are IRATE. If only they had written down your order, this could have been avoided. Why do they do this? Do they think I am impressed that they can get 90% of an order correct without writing it down? Well, guess what? There is no A- in Bringing me My Dinner. It is graded on a pass/fail basis. You FAIL.

It has come to my attention that many servers who do not write down orders are required not to by their employers. In these cases, those employers are the intended recipients of my ire. I also know that waiters and waitresses work very, very hard, and often have to deal with outrageously rude customers...it is just beyond me that they would forgo a rudimentary instrument that makes their lives so much easier.

*I said no cilantro.

Next up for Banishment: Joggers on busy streets vs. Second Life

1 comment:

McDougherty said...

Love the post. You're absolutely right about the one of two outcomes.

On one hand you can blame the waitstaff, but on the other this could very well be the policy of the restaurant....which means really poor management and really no focus on customer service.