Thursday, January 15, 2009

Clamshell Packaging

I was not surprised to learn that clamshell packaging has already been on the receiving end of a few high profile hate-stick beatings.* It is the most infuriatingly anti-consumer contraption contrapted since VCRs that needed a separate rewinder.

Some childproof packaging would more accurately be described as people-proof. At the point where I need scissors or an exacto-knife to birth my Day Quil from its pod, it is no longer "packaging" but rather a capsule in and of itself. Dual time-release technology, if you will. The time it takes me to get to the stupid pill out + the time it takes the enzymes in my stomach to dissolve the gel casing of the medicine.

Assuming your children have short attention spans and no access to sharp objects, childproof packaging at least serves a purpose: to prevent your kids from killing themselves. Clamshell packaging, on the other hand, assisted a perfectly sane grandmother in slitting her wrists while attempting to free her grandson's PS3 controller. So, childproof packaging: suicide-preventer -> clamshell packaging: suicide enabler.

While your vacuum-sealed multi-compartment clamshell packaging may be convenient and economical for you, the producer- it is a giant middle finger to the rest of us.

*Which, incidentally, did not make it any easier to open

Next up for Banishment: Stick Figure Family Stickers vs. Tom's of Maine products

2 comments:

McDougherty said...

I couldn't agree more with this Banished!

I great up in a time where "childproof packaging" didn't exist and we nearly didn't have as many problems.

I miss the good ol' days where kids, and adults, were free to injure themselves however they see fit without the assistance of overly packaged products.

Barrett said...

I once got a sample of Tom's of Maine toothpaste. It tasted like Desitin. (Don't ask how I know what Desitin tastes like.)